The Handmaids' Unanima representative, Sister Margaret Scott, attended May 2016 forum
Clean Water for God's Thirsty Children
Dear Sisters: I am very happy on behalf of Water With Blessings to report to you that the Hilton Fund for Sisters has approved $50,000 to equip and train the total of 1430 new Water Women in the disaster areas in Peru. The purpose was to collaborate with five congregations in the work of distributing filters to mothers. The congregations selected were the first five who responded to the opportunity:
- The Daughters of Charity of Peru
- The Daughters of Wisdom
- The Congregation of Bon Secour
- The Ursuline Sisters of Louisville
- The Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
To get Hilton funding, we had to ask on behalf of 5 congregations, for a limit of $10,000 worth of filters and training kits for each congregation that wants to participate in the project. Water With Blessings has worked with Hilton in this same arrangement in several countries, including Ecuador. I spoke with the congregational superiors or presidents about this collaboration. In this time of disaster and much intense organizational work, I only spoke with few of you who live in Peru, but I hope that more or less everyone understands the purpose:
- The funds are from Hilton's emergency department, only for use in distributing filters to mothers in areas affected by the current disaster, within the next 120 days.
- It is required that the filters be distributed only in accordance with the program and protocol of Water With Blessings.
- Water With Blessings will receive the funds to cover the costs of buying the filters and all materials, buckets and transportation expenses.
- We offer each congregation an equal share of filters and materials for a project of 286 mothers. If a congregation decides that a project of 286 mothers is more than they can accept, please notify me and Sister Yacqui, and we will form a plan to ensure that everything is completed. There are other congregations interested in collaborating if there is opportunity.
- We will pass directly to the congregations in Peru the funds to buy the buckets (up to $ 3 US for each bucket), and funds to help with transportation, security and other needs related to the program, ($3 US for each mother in your project.) We will use Western Union, if acceptable.
Sr. Yacqueline Felix Pacha, Daughter of Charity, is the main coordinator ("Sister in Charge") for this project Thank you, Sr. Yacqui, for accepting this position!
In the coming week, we will send the 5 sisters representatives in Peru a covenant to complete and finalize the participation.
Representatives in Peru, please contact Sor Yacqui to ensure that you are well prepared to lead the projects, and to confirm the number of mothers whom you can train as Water Women.
Finally, please join me in a prayer of blessing for the representatives and directors of the Hilton Fund for Sisters. The resources they entrust to us are sacred resources, dedicated to alleviating the suffering of our brothers and sisters most in need. It is a great blessing and privilege for us to have the trust of this organization.
It should also be said that it is a great privilege on my part to have the collaboration of all of you. Each morning, our staff meets to start the day with meditation and prayer. Always we pray for all our collaborators, for their safety and all that they require to sustain them in their mission.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns related to our shared mission.
Your Sister Larraine